Thursday, October 25, 2012

The next go-around

     Well folks,

     It looks like you're back, and it looks like I'm back, so I suppose we can get down to business. Despite my comments last week about whether Batman could foil the Joker's plot, given that I am neither a cartoonist, nor a screenwriter, I guess Batman's ultimate fate will be determined at the box office (which, if history is any indicator, means that Batman will have more money than Bruce Wayne by the end of the decade. Oh, wait...)

     Now that we have reached our second entry, I would like to give everyone the opportunity to applaud yourselves for being such ravenous fans of this blog. Go ahead, take thirty seconds to pat yourselves on the back. I'll wait. See, don't you feel better now? It has been your passionate responses to our news that have encouraged us to foray once again into that mystifying realm known as the blog-sphere (to whomever made up the term "blog-sphere": I am quite displeased with this word, and believe that you should be forced to read the OED [look it up people, I can't give away all of my secrets] from end to end until you realize that you have sadly mangled the English language). Heather and I have decided that one post per week will be more than sufficient, and I will try to shoot for Thursdays so that you will always have a sense of when the next post will be added, without being overwhelmed by my ponderous ramblings. I wanted to try a Friday spot, but the networks had given those away to the highest bidder (I guess my Nielson numbers aren't where they need to be this month), so Thursday AM was the only time I could negotiate (yes, I really did just play out a fictional pitch to TV networks). This week's theme: a recap of last week.

     After our announcement last Thursday, our world was turned upside down. The outpouring of love and support from our families and friends has been unbelievable. In the past week alone, people donated almost $1,500 to our adoption fund. Although we will not name names in order to preserve privacy, I do want to mention that your generosity has been beyond anything we could have hoped for. Heather and I are both grateful beyond words, and even though "Thank you!!!!!!" could never be enough, it will have to suffice until I can find more germane and descriptive methods of conveying our gratitude to you. Two days after our announcement, my cross-country teams competed at the state meet, and even more rewarding than their successes (winning the boys' race and taking 2nd in the girls' race), was the fact that in just two days, the team raised almost $200 dollars for our efforts. A special thanks to all of my runners and their parents for being so very selfless. Beyond the donations, all of your emails, phone calls, and FB posts have made the past week one of the happiest in our lives. I know we have a long way to go before we have a child, but, we are thankful to have such a wonderful support system place.

     I feel that ending a post on a maudlin note may make some of you unhappy, and so, with that in mind, I'd like to give you thoughts to ponder until our next meeting. The first is this: how can so many different super-heroes live in New York City? I mean, Superman, Batman, Robin, Batgirl, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Fantastic Four, Spiderman, the X-men(well at least in NY state), Captain America and the Hulk all have residence in the city. How much protection does one city really need? Are the bad guys there really so tough? Or is it all of the sewer rats? Second: was the revision to Star Wars IV, where Greedo was made to shoot first, a good idea? Doesn't that fundamentally alter the character of Han Solo? Third: why is football (American) called football? This game uses feet only very rarely, and yet, still claims the same name as a game where feet are the only method of moving a ball (excluding goalies). Finally: why are tropical storms that are not yet full tropical storms called tropical depressions? Does the movement of wet air cause sadness among people in the tropics? Does the movement of wet air cause the atmosphere itself to become depressed? And if so, is there a therapist large enough to deal with the atmosphere as a whole? And if so, would that therapist ask the atmosphere about its childhood? I don't know. In fact, I don't have the answers to any of these questions, and would like answers. So, please, take some time, consider these things, and let me know. The best answers will make it into next week's post. Thanks for indulging me and playing along.


'Til next time, sports fans-

John and Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment