Thursday, November 1, 2012

A (Mock) Tragic Tale

         Dear Reader,
I have very sad news to relate. LucasFilm Limited is being purchased by Disney, Inc. I realize that many of you don't know much about George Lucas, or LucasFilm, and I further realize that many of you who do know about LFL don't care much about the aforementioned purchase, but for the tiny minority of you who do care, read on.
         To begin, let's review Lucas's legacy in the film world. American Graffiti was an interesting take on a nostalgic world that never really existed. But herein lies the rub: it was the perfect run-up to perhaps the most influential movie franchise in history. And then came The Trilogy. In all ways, one of the best movie series in history, as well as one of the most loved. Beyond the iconic characters, the franchise became an archetype for all future movie makers and viewers alike. The Trilogy changed not only how we see movies, but also changed our expectations in regards to story telling. I must admit, the New Trilogy pales in comparison to the Original, but having said that, I still find the New to be far beyond the capacity of most story-tellers. Add to this resume the Indiana Jones quadrilogy, and the smashing success of ILM and Skywalker Sound, and you have one of the most important film empires (yes, the pun is intended) in film history.
         Enter Walt Disney. Another apotheotic name in the film world. I have read much press that indicates how wonderful this merger will be for all involved. But here is the problem as I see it. Disney tends to spin its purchased assets into mirror-versions of itself. I am afraid that Disney will make Star Wars look like Mickey with a lightsaber. I feel that Disney is unable to distance itself from its magic money-making formula in order to embrace the individuality of the asset in question. It makes me quake to contemplate the loss of identity that Star Wars will undergo to fit in with the other Disney "kids". My brother-in-law asserts that Disney will only reimagine the SW universe a bit, and will leave intact the central heart of the franchise. But how can that be so? Can Disney afford to promote a style of film, and film-making, that is so antithetical its own success? I hope so, but don't believe it will happen. Anyway, I welcome your thoughts and condolences as I mourn the loss of such a cherished franchise.
          Oh, and if you and wondering about our road to adoption, I will liken it to the road Lucas had to take to get A New Hope created- very long, very winding, but ultimately supremely worthwhile. See you next week, Dear Reader.

-John and Heather-

No comments:

Post a Comment